Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
- Faculty of Applied Health Sciences: Atrium, AHS Expansion Building
Friday, Nov 4, 2016 at 5:00 PM EDT
Hack4Health (H4H) is a non-traditional hackathon aimed at social impact rather than monetary benefit.
H4H provides an exciting space for undergraduate and graduate students to create practical applications (software, hardware, and social solutions) for people living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) or dementia (Alzheimer's disease or other dementias).
The applications that emerge from H4H benefit people affected by and/or living with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias or MS, enhance the profile of both conditions, inspire cutting-edge research at the University of Waterloo, and provide an invaluable platform for social innovation.
Students will have the opportunity to collaborate with a broad range of disciplines and members of the community to come up with impactful solutions to real problems.
Who Can Participate:
If you have programming or design experience,
If you have project management skills,
If you have an interest in healthcare or applied health sciences,
If you have an interest in engineering,
If your have software or hardware development skills,
Or are interested in making a difference for others in your community (social entrepreneur).
Teams may be between 2-6 people. You can come as a team or network with other participants and form teams at the event. All teams must register on Nov. 6th by noon at the event.
What to Expect at the Event:
Opportunity to learn about MS and Dementias from Mentors.
Opportunity to collaborate and design innovative and practical applications to assist those living with neurological conditions.
Opportunity to work and network with Mentors from various backgrounds (technical experts, experts on the disease, persons with lived experience, etc.).
Meals will be provided, made possible by our amazing sponsors.
Opportunity to win scholarships and prizes.
A competitive atmosphere.
Please see the Hack4Health website for more information.
Our Amazing Sponsors:
- CIBC MELLON
- ONTARIO BRAIN INSTITUTE
- CONRAD BUSINESS, ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND TECHNOLOGY CENTRE
- FACULTY OF APPLIED HEALTH SCIENCE
- MS SOCIETY
- By signing up for this event, you give Hack4Health partners (MAREP, AHS, MS Society of Canada, Alzheimer Society of Waterloo Wellington) permission to showcase your ideas (software, hardware or social innovation) for advertising, marketing or promoting their organizations or any of the sponsors, their products or services.
- During Hack4Health pictures, audio and video recordings will be taken. By signing up for this event, you are agreeing to have your image and/or recording taken during Hack4Health. The photographs and videos may be used by the University of Waterloo (UW), MAREP, AHS, MS Society of Canada, or the Alzheimer Society of Waterloo Wellington for the purpose of promoting its activities or for educational purposes. Images and/or videos may be used in print or on the website of Hack4Health partners. These images and videos will not be sold or made available to any third parties.
Faculty of Applied Health Sciences - Faculty of Applied Health Sciences: Atrium, AHS Expansion Building
200 University Avenue West Waterloo, ON N2L 3G5 CA
UW Clubs Day Special Rate
Early Bird Rate
The Murray Alzheimer Research and Education Program (MAREP) is an innovative program that adopts a partnership approach and integrates research and educational activities in an effort to improve dementia care practices in Canada. Although MAREP's research projects are funded by research grants, all of its knowledge translation activities are funded through donations and charitable gifts from individuals and groups. Learn how you can support our programs.