Beyond 60: Anniversary Lecture | Student Life Centre Viewing Event
Student Life Centre
- Great Hall
Monday, Jan 9, 2017 at 7:00 PM EST
THIS EVENT IS NOW SOLD OUT
JOIN US AS WE LOOK 60 YEARS INTO THE FUTURE
In 2017, the University of Waterloo celebrates 60 years of innovation — an exciting milestone for all of us. Whether you are a student, alumnus, faculty, staff, donor, supporter or friend, you are an important part of our growing story.
In only 60 years, we have redefined higher education as experience-rich, deeply connected, societally relevant and globally impactful — a place where ideas become reality, ignited by an unmatched spirit of innovation. Over the next 60 years, the pace of innovation and change will increase exponentially. What will our world look like by 2077, and how will we continue to influence solutions and respond to global challenges?
As we approach this milestone year with a keen eye to the future, Feridun Hamdullahpur, president and vice-chancellor of the University of Waterloo, invites you to join us for Beyond 60, a kick-off event featuring leaders who challenge the status quo and connect us with the potential of tomorrow. Their thought-provoking questions and conversations will take us beyond disciplines, beyond the present day and beyond borders.
ABOUT THE MAIN EVENT
To change the future, we must first understand the great challenges and opportunities ahead. The intersection of the human condition with new technologies — from quantum computing to artificial intelligence — has the world teetering on the brink of a wild new frontier, where the private can become public at the click of a button, and lines between person and machine are increasingly blurred.
Join Waterloo at the vanguard of the coming information and intelligence revolution, with keynotes and panelists including:
- Edward Snowden (via satellite), who sparked a global debate over mass surveillance, government secrecy and the balance between national security and information privacy
- Kate Darling, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Media Lab research specialist and fellow at the Harvard Berkman Center, whose research examines the intersection of technology and society
- University of Waterloo panel:
- Beth Coleman, associate professor, Experimental Digital Media, Faculty of Arts
- Dana Kulic, associate professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Faculty of Engineering
- Michele Mosca, professor of mathematics and University Research Chair, Department of Combinatorics and Optimization, Faculty of Math
Welcome remarks by Feridun Hamdullahpur, President, University of Waterloo.
JOIN US AT THE STUDENT LIFE CENTRE VIEWING EVENT PRESENTED BY THE FEDERATION OF STUDENTS
- Doors open at 6:15 p.m.
- Tickets are non-transferable and must be presented upon entry.
- Recordings of the lecture session are not permitted.
- Public transit or carpooling is encouraged. If you require campus parking, additional information will be provided in advance of the event.
Student Life Centre - Great Hall
200 University Avenue West Waterloo, ON N2L 3G5 CA
Beyond 60: Student Life Centre
University of Waterloo
The University of Waterloo is Canada’s top innovation university. With more than 36,000 students we are home to the world's largest co-operative education system of its kind. Our unmatched entrepreneurial culture, combined with an intensive focus on research, powers one of the top innovation hubs in the world. Find out more at uwaterloo.ca.